Friday, October 29, 2010

What I Learned about "The Why".

I learned a lot from a 10 minute clip by Simon Sinek about how leaders can inspire action. Sinek discusses the "Golden Circle" with three components: what you do, how you do it and why you do it. Most people know what they do and how they do it - but the ones that truly inspire us let us know why they do it.

I discussed this notion with my wife about how she teaches high school math. I think she operates differently because she has the why figured out. I suggest that for some teachers the description could be "I teach math, I use good instructional strategies - want to take my class?" But I think my wife - who knows the why - would state it like this: "I believe every student can be successful in math, I put everything into making sure they are a confident and capable math student, want to take my class?"

Who do you want as a math teacher?

Sinek states "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it."

I learned that people are inspired when they really understand your core beliefs about the why.

No comments:

Post a Comment